Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Blog Pause

As you may have noticed I have been taking periodic blog pauses.  It seems at times that life just sprints away.  All the things I want to do get put on that back burner for those things that have to be done.  We have hit a mighty pot hole in our road of life as of late and then subsequently got stuck in the mud.  I try to always keep this place on the positive and so please excuse my lapse into negative Nellie mode.

David lost his job in October and has been subbing ever since.  We have done all the things we know to do to cut back on spending...no more cable, no yard waste, took out the land line for the phone and cut back in every other way we can think of.  So... as I am typically very frugal this should be just another challenge but in some ways this is like survivor and I did not addition for the show.

So as we work through this as many other Americans do we find that some ridiculous things hold true
  • Healthy food fruits and veges are expensive (crappy food mac and cheese are cheap)
  • When you can't get your kid to sleep and a drive around the block will easily do it sometimes it's worth putting a few bucks in gas and eating mac and cheese again for dinner
  • Kids underwear cost $12.00 for 5  two kids you you do the math
  • 2nd hand clothes from friends are a true blessing
  • Free babysitting on Fridays with Baba typically includes a good lunch for the kids and extra food and fruit for the family
  • Crummy weather really blows when you are looking for free entertainment to wear your kids out
  • Banks really don't give a rip about actual people and making homes affordable program is a joke
  • Free weekly coffee is truly something to look forward to
  • Family is really the only necessity
I know most people want to hang on to stuff when the money runs out.  I on the other hand want to toss everything.  I look around at the excess toys, clothes, and junk and see money previously wasted that we could be using now and I just want it gone.  We have taken 2 loads to the second hand shop and my hopes is to take 2 more by the end of the week. 

So here I say to to the cyber universe I give up my need to control this situation.  It is all as it should be.   All of you in my boat I salute you.  Keep on paddling around the rocks, it's all down stream from here.

1 comment:

  1. Excellant Blog! I often think of you guys working so hard to make changes and get by. Just doesn't seem right! I do know that we try too often to control things that are not going the way we planned as we think that will make it better. In fact it only makes thing more difficult. I found out during some of my darkest hours that the key to getting through the tough times is "letting go" and giving your anxiety to a higher power or just the natural energy of the universe... whatever you believe that to be. In may case, when I finally found the courage to do that everything changed and fell into place. Sounds like you are trying to find that place too. I hope it comes to you soon and you also see the peace that it brings! It is so sad to see so many hard working families trying so hard to get through these tough times. I love you! And think of you everyday. I am grateful you are part of my son's life!

    ReplyDelete