Friday, July 30, 2010

Writing/editing day!

Went to my writing group on Thursday and read a mildly edited piece.  Wowzers it was a real stinker.  Course my group was truly supportive (gotta love em). 

What do you do when you have a not so good read?
 Buy a book of course.  So I bought "Bird by Bird" by  Anne Lamott.  She has a chapter called shitty first drafts that I would absolutely suggest anyone out there who wants to write, read.

With that said I edited my first 4 pages today.  I will probably re-edit those same 4 pages tommorrow and then move to something I will have to read next week so I can stop feeling the need to point out the crappiness as I read. 
I am telling myself I can drive from LA to DC in the dark with the headlights on.  I only have to do a little bit and the end will still be the end.  Thanks Anne for the advice!

2 comments:

  1. You have wonderful, memorable characters and truly fantastic dialog. Don't give up, whatever you do. Keep editing. (Editing isn't easy, though, don't you think?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. See what did I tell you supportive bunch! Thanks

    ReplyDelete