Tuesday, January 5, 2010

No longer momma's Babe!

Today was quite the day.  I woke up with my eyelids glued shut thanks to my second round of pink eye.  (Note to self throw away makeup tainted with pink eye goo.)

I went to work and after the 20th student came in and either said Wow you need to sleep or What happened to you??  I decided it was time to take my typhoid Mary eyes home. 

I made a quick stop at the book store ... oh how I love those short times alone in a store with no one's needs to hurry my perusing.  Upon arriving home however I found a child in tears with a very very red eye.  Now my first thought of course was pink eye but she immediately reported "Sydney poked me in the eye. She said sorry but I cried and Miss Faye help me."

I took her up for a nap for us both.  After a long teary painful eye trauma she finally fell asleep. 

"No no no no!"  I heard just as I drifted off.  I ran down to see what was the matter and low and behold found David with the Logan, and a poopie mess.  I won't go into details but it was not pretty and David was not happy.  It seems the medicine for the ear infection was reeking havoc on his little innards again.

Phia woke up screaming 10 min later and we looked at each other and knew a doctor visit was in our immediate future.

In the car Phia kept her dripping eye closed and then reported she was all better and didn't need to see the Doctor. 

She bucked up and into the office we went.  She told the receptionist her name and we waited quietly in the chairs with the old germ covered magazines.  (She is only three and the quietly part kinda threw me)  In the office the kndly nurse covered one eye with this eye wand and asked her to report the pictures she saw.

"finger print" (hand print)
"reindeer"  (horse and rider)
"House"
"Bird no Duck"

Then the Doctor arrived.  "What happened?"
"Sydney poked me in the eye. She said sorry and Ms.  Faye helped me.What's your name?"

"Does the light hurt?"
"I like it dark.  When I look at books it (my eyes) doesn't work I don't know what to say."
I interpret, "She hasn't learned to read yet." 
He pulls the big gizmo out and asks her to sit forward and put her chin on it.  She does and asks me to hold her hand.  He does his check and finds a scratch that requires a few days of medicine but nothing more. 
"What's that called" pointing to the big gizmo she just put her head in.
"akhsdfkadjf." he replies
"ad;faddjfhjkdh." she says
"That's right."
"Momma that's called a asdadfaehj."
"Wow."
She got her stickers and out we went.

As I sat in the car and retold this to David I realized she is no longer Momma's Babe. She is a child of the world.  She is independent, has her own agenda and is not afraid to ask questions.  I hope these characteristics stay with her always.  Be kind to my babe world!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh. That is awesome. And beautifully written. I was right there with you. How thrilled you must be for the bright shining star of a daughter.

    ReplyDelete