Friday, January 13, 2012

Lists

Looking at a new year is always so appealing to me.  With library books and some birthday books on hand I started my list of things I would like to take a crack at this year. 
Vegan
Sewing
Blog
Crafting with kids
Writing
Home projects
Art
I could go on and on.... I read a book over Christmas break that really helped me get it all organized.
"Getting Things Done" by David Allen
One of his tips is to get it all down on paper so it's not all floating around in your head.

I got this awesome journal for my birthday from a dear friend and I put it to use.  I added tabs with categories and I started writing things down as they came up.  I added a sticky note to the back for work items (then I can just take the sticky out and add it to my work list and put in a new sticky.
Wow has it made a difference.  I am noticing that as I have written things down when I see something that relates I know just where to put it.  I also have a few projects started.  The next thing he recommended was putting down the next action step.  For example I always have clean house.  No no no... now I have sweep front porch. (which I did today and got to check off)  So as I did this I started noticing themes of things I need to do and those I want to do.  Blogging more would be on the want side.  So I started a plan in that little notebook.  From those next action steps I needed to do some research so off to the library I went.  Here is what I came back with.  There are also a few Christmas books in there.

I must say armed with information and next action steps I actually feel empowered and not overwhelmed.
So let's just see how far Mr. David Allen can get me this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment